The Kerala Motor Vehicles Department is, as the name suggests, the department for regulating Motor Vehicles. The department has a lot of roles and responsibilities, exceeding those held by the RTO. The MVD Kerala handles 18 Regional Transport Offices in Kerala, among its other functions.
More about the MVD Kerala
The MVD Kerala is a governmental body. As such, the department is formed by the state government. The government of the state of Kerala is also responsible for formulating regulations guiding the MVD Kerala. Furthermore, they are also responsible for implementing policies guiding the functions of the Department of Motor Vehicles. The Transport Commissioner in Kerala heads the Motor Vehicles Department. While performing the various functions, it is tasked with; this department is one of the biggest revenue earners in Kerala. The State exchequer stands to earn a major chunk of the state revenue through this department.�
Functions of the Motor Vehicles Department in Kerala
The Motor Vehicles Department in Kerala performs several extremely important functions. Some of its various functions include�
- Computerization of 18 Regional Transport Offices
- Computerizations of 14 Safe Kerala Control Rooms
- Computerization of 68 Sub-regional Transport Offices
- Computerizations of 19 Motor Vehicles Check Posts
- Registration of Vehicles in Kerala
- Issuing a Driver�s license�
- Renewing Driver�s license upon expiry
- Issuing various permits to individuals and the sub-departments
- Collecting Road Taxes
- Controlling Pollutions caused by vehicles and implementing environmentally friendly policies
- Overseein Road Safety and formulates and implements suitable policies.�
- Development and Modernization of Road Transport system
- Issuing Vehicle safety and fitness certificates
Thus, we can conclude that many of the functions performed by the Motor Vehicles Department overlap with the RTO. Among the many roles and responsibilities, the issuance of Driver�s licenses and registration of vehicles are the most important roles. These roles and responsibilities are extended through the Regional Transport Office to the end customer, i.e., the citizens. Citizens need to visit the RTO or submit an application to the RTO online to get these things done. For example, an individual must submit a list of documents to the RTO to register a vehicle. The RTO processes them and passes them to the Motor Vehicles Department, issuing a registration number. This Registration number is sent to the RTO, which mails the details to the end consumer. Alternatively, they are directly addressed to the end customer.
If you own a vehicle in Kerala, it is a must to know all about the MVD. You can check out the Park+ app for more information on the MVD. The Park+ app can be downloaded from the Play Store or Apple Store on your android or IOS devices. This application provides various benefits, and additionally, it contains information about your local RTOs. To perform any of the functions related to the RTO, Park+ can be used from the comfort of your home. So what are you waiting for? Download the Park+ App today and enjoy seamless transactions.