Eligibility for Driving License in India
For a person to be eligible to drive a vehicle on Indian roads, they must hold a Driving License along with other mandatory documents like a Registration Certificate, PUC Certificate, and some required permits. Three types of Driving License are issued in India- 1. Learner�s License 2. Permanent Driving License 3. Commercial Driving License
The Learner�s License is issued to a driver by the RTO before the issuance of a Permanent Driving License. The validity for the same is 6 months.
Permanent Driving License
One can apply for a Permanent Driving License after 30 days of procuring the Learner�s License. A person is required to be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for this license and has to undertake the test mandated by the RTO. This license is issued for private vehicles such as cars, bikes, and other categories of light vehicles.
Commercial Driving License
This category of license is issued to give authority to a person to drive heavy vehicles (passenger or goods delivering vehicles like trucks). Drivers generally require specialized training in operating heavy vehicles from government or state-sponsored specialized training institutes.
Eligibility Criteria for Driving License in India
The eligibility for a driving license in India depends on the class of a vehicle and the type of driving license you are applying for. Mentioned below are the eligibility requirements for driving licenses for different classes of vehicles.
- A vehicle without gears with an engine capacity up to 50cc
- The applicant must be at least 16 years old
- Consent of the parents/guardian is also required
- Vehicle with gears
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old
- The applicant needs to be aware of the traffic rules and regulations
- Commercial vehicles
- The applicant must be at least 20 years old (18 years in some states).
- Must be trained from government or state-sponsored specialized training institutes
Driving License Categories in India
Different classes of Driving licenses and the vehicles associated are mentioned below.
|Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50cc or less
|MC EX 50cc
|Motorcycles with gears with an engine capacity of 50cc or more
|Motorcycles with or without gear
|Light Motor Vehicles (Non- transport)
|Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle
|Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle/Heavy Transport Vehicle
|Vehicles without gears
Documents required to apply for a driving license in India
Following are the documents required to obtain a driving license in India-
- Age proof (anyone)
- Birth Certificate
- PAN Card
- Class 10 mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school for any class with the date of birth printed on it.
- Permanent proof of address (anyone)
- Aadhaar Card
- Self-owned house agreement
- Electricity Bill (issued in applicants name)
- LIC Bond
- Voters ID Card
- Ration Card
- Current proof of address (anyone)
- Rental agreement and electricity bill
- Rental agreement and LPG bill
- Duly filled application form
- Passport-sized photographs
- Medical certificate (mandatory for applicants over the age of 40 years)
How to apply for a driving license online in India?
Following are the steps you can follow to apply for a driving license online in India. 1. Log on to Ministry of Road Transport and Highways operated website � https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/ 2. Click on �Apply Online� 3. Fill in Learner�s License details. 4. Enter personal details 5. Upload documents 6. Upload photograph and signature 7. Book test slot 8. Pay application fee