The Regional Transport Office in Uttar Pradesh is responsible for administering rules for the proper conduct of vehicles and vehicle owners. It is also the tax collector for all road and vehicle taxes in Uttar Pradesh. Being a large state, Uttar Pradesh has several RTO offices. If you want to pay UP road tax, UP tax online or UP Vahan tax, you can do so through a smartphone app itself. In that case, you won't need to physically go to the RTO office. But if you are buying a new vehicle, you will have to physically report to the RTO office.
Today there are several ways to access all RTO facilities from the comfort of your home. You can seamlessly connect to the Park+ app and check challan information, recharge FASTag, and much more.
The RTO in Uttar Pradesh has a few main functions. it is also responsible for the general maintenance of UP transport. From ensuring environmental checks to setting speed limits on highways, the RTO has several important functions in Uttar Pradesh.
Since Uttar Pradesh is a large state, there are several RTO offices in the state. Generally, every district has at least one RTO office. People who live in the adjacent villages would have to come to the RTO office in the town RTO office. More prominent offices in Uttar Pradesh, like RTO Lucknow, stay busy throughout the year due to many vehicle owners.
For both urban and rural dwellers, the availability of apps like mParivahan and Park+ are huge benefits. Now anyone can avail of RTO facilities directly from their smartphones with 100% security. Moreover, Park+ also helps you find parking spots and recharge FASTag cards.
- Tax collection: As the primary tax collector of its jurisdiction, every RTO is responsible for road and vehicle tax collection. Be it UP Vahan tax or UP tax online payment, everything goes to the treasury of RTO UP. In the same connection, it is also responsible for the collection of fines and penalties. That's the reason you have to pay all your e-challan dues to your RTO office through the mParivahan app or mParivahan website,
- Vehicle registration: Vehicle registration is the main role of RTO in Uttar Pradesh and all the other Indian states. Through registration, your newly bought vehicle gets a legal identity. It gets a new and unique registration number. All these processes are done by the RTO office. Nowadays, you can opt for a personalized registration number through the mParivahan app.
- Driving License distribution: Apart from RC (Registration Certificate), DL (Driving License) is another important area of the RTO. It conducts tests and evaluations to determine whether you are fit for a driving license. If you pass the test, you are given a license for the type of vehicle you are eligible to drive. There are several categories of driving licenses in India. It includes licenses for heavy vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, non-geared two-wheelers, and so on.
- Environmental regulation: No Pollution Certificate (NPC) is a must-have for every vehicle that runs on petrol or diesel. You have to get your No Pollution Certificate from a local authorized tester. On top of that, you must renew your No Pollution Certificate every six months. If you are caught without a valid No Pollution Certificate, you will be charged a hefty fine. In that case, you can pay the fine from the Park+ or mParivahan app.
- Road safety: Maintaining the overall safety of roads is an important role of the RTO in Uttar Pradesh. It regulates the upper-speed limit for vehicles along with organizing road safety campaigns. Hundreds of road accidents take place in Uttar Pradesh every day. Some are minor, and some are fatal. The RTO endeavours to lower these instances.
RTO is massively important for the correct governance of vehicles in Uttar Pradesh, especially to get RTO vehicle information UP. It is the apex body when it comes to dealing with vehicle-related issues. If you own a car in Uttar Pradesh, you must have had to visit the RTO office. What we don't see from the outside is the sheer size and complexity of an RTO office. It is responsible for detailed records of lakhs of vehicles under its jurisdiction. The digitization drive of RTO empowered by apps like Park+ and mParivahan is greatly relieving pressure off these RTO offices.
Without the RTO office, managing vehicle rules and regulations would not be possible in Uttar Pradesh. Like every other Indian state, the RTO offices are at the core of transportation in Uttar Pradesh.
For certain electric scooters and motorcycles, you do not need any registration to be able to drive legally. But other electric two-wheelers require usual registration at the RTO. However, they do not have any NPC obligations.
When it comes to petroleum-powered vehicles, each vehicle must be registered with the RTO. You can drive the car after you have applied for registration but have not received the number yet. The manufacturer's registration number is valid for 30 days. You should have your new and permanent registration number from the RTO by that time.