How is FASTag scanned, and what all is present on the FASTag sticker?
What is FASTag?
FASTag is an electronic system of toll collection active across Indian National Highways. The FASTag is affixed as a sticker on the windscreen of a vehicle. It uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to enable the sensors/scanners at the toll booths to automatically deduct toll tax from the linked prepaid or savings account. It is operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) and has been mandated for all class M&N vehicles (four-wheelers carrying passengers/goods) from February 2021.Details on the FASTag Sticker
The FASTag sticker contains
-FASTag Trademark - Bank name* - Tag ID - Customer Care Number - Tag Class - There are various tag classes based on vehicle category. - Tag Class 4: Car/Jeep/Van Tata Ace and similar mini light commercial vehicles - Tag Class 5: Light commercial vehicles - Tag Class 6: Three axle commercial vehicles - Tag Class 7: Bus/Truck - Tag Class 12: 4 to 6 axle - Tag Class 15: 7 or more axle - Tag Class 16: Heavy Construction Machinery (HCM)/ Earth - Moving Equipment (EME) - Antenna (not visible) - Chip (not visible) - contains details like vehicle class, vehicle weight, FASTag ID, vehicle registration number, and the wheelbase.
How to use FASTag?
For a FASTag scanner to clearly read the FASTag of your vehicle, it is important to paste it correctly on your vehicle's windshield. - Affix the FASTag on the top-middle of the windshield (from the inside of the car) by removing the adhesive strip. - Remember to keep the adhesive side of the FASTag sticker facing outside. - Once pasted, do not try to remove or reposition the sticker.
How is FASTag scanned?
- When a vehicle drives through the ETC lane of the toll plaza, the scanner reads the FASTag sticker on the vehicle's windscreen and captures the FASTag details like Tag ID and vehicle class.
- The system then sends the FASTag details to the acquiring bank for processing.
- The Tag ID is then validated through certain procedural steps.
- After successful validation of Tag ID, the appropriate toll fare is calculated, and a debit request from the linked account is initiated.
- The tag holder receives an SMS alert for the tax deduction.
- This electronic tax collection system ensures automatic and hassle-free tax payment without queueing up at the toll plazas.
How to get FASTag?
FASTag can be purchased from offline as well as online modes.
- Offline locations for purchasing FASTag include- NH toll plazas, RTOs, transport hubs, selected bank branches of certified banks and Point-of-sale (POS) locations set up by the member banks.
- In online mode, FASTag can be purchased from bank portals, digital payment apps like PAYTM and also certain E-commerce websites.
Documents required to apply for FASTag
Following documents need to be submitted when applying for a FASTag for your vehicle - Signed FASTag application form (provided by the issuer bank) - Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner - Vehicle Registration Certificate (RC) - KYC documents for ID and Address proof All the above-mentioned documents should be in the name of the vehicle owner.
Benefits of FASTag
- The introduction of FASTag has made possible a seamless tolling experience.
- The system ensures hassle-free payment at toll booths.
- It has helped in bringing more efficiency to toll operations.
- It becomes easier to keep track of one’s toll expenses.
- Lower wastage of fuel since there is no need for vehicles to queue.
- Payment through FASTag also ensures cashback incentives. To promote the use of FASTag, a 7.5% cashback offer on every toll payment has been introduced.
- A tag issued by any member bank is accepted at all toll plazas.
The system has proven to be effective in bringing down the hurdles faced by commuters at toll plazas and has resulted in the smooth functioning of toll operations.