MUVs or Multi Utility Vehicles are a domain of vehicles that have been successful on Indian roads after the launch of one of the most affluent MUVs in India, Toyota Innova, in 2005. MUVs are installed with the FWD operating system and serve as the best option when it comes to all-around driving or family rides with more passengers or more luggage.
Some of the best features that have attracted customers towards MUVs over decades include the engine power, spacious interior, higher fuel efficiency, and lower prices compared to SUVs. This, in turn, makes it quite an economical option in the automobile market, keeping the needs of customers in mind.
Choosing best MUV cars in India
Here are some of the points that you should consider while purchasing a new MUV vehicle. They have been elaborated below with a few comparisons of the top MUVs in the 2022 Indian market, namely Toyota Innova Crysta, Mahindra XUV300, Maruti XL6, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Renault Kiger.
1. Engine Power: Cubic centimeters (cc) is used for measuring power which tells us about the size of the cylinder(s) that burns the fuel with air. Higher cc indicates a bigger cylinder size, which means a more significant amount of energy burns to give more power and acceleration. Currently, Toyota Innova Crysta has the highest engine power of 2694cc (petrol) and 2393cc (diesel) in an economical range of Rs.17.86-26.54 lakhs. Mahindra XUV300 has an engine power of 1197cc, Maruti XL6 of 1462, and Renault Kiger of 999cc, while Maruti Suzuki Ertiga comes with a 1462cc engine.
2. Spacious Interior: MUV vehicles are known for their vast cabinet space that can easily accommodate 5-8 passengers and gives enough luggage space. The space factor entirely depends on the customers' requirements on their needs demand. The buyers get various options in this reign, with Toyota Innova Crysta and Maruti Suzuki Ertiga have a seating capacity of 7. Maruti XL6 has a seating capacity of 6, while Mahindra XUV300 and Renault Kiger with a seating capacity of 5.
3. Boot Space: Boot space refers to the space provided at the back of the vehicles for storing luggage. MUVs give a ton of boot space to keep all your luggage safe at the rear, whether it be for a family picnic or outstation rides. This, like the cabinet space, also depends on the customer's needs. It can range from 405 liters in Renault Kiger, 300 liters in Toyota Innova Crysta, 259 liters in Mahindra XUV300 to 209 liters in Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Maruti XL6. As we can see, in many cases, the less boot space capacity compensates for, the greater seating capacity for passengers. It will be entirely determined by the purchaser's requirements.
4. Fuel efficiency: The fuel efficiency of any vehicle is given by its mileage. In simpler terms, it tells us about the average distance that can be covered by any car with 1 liter of fuel. As an advantage, MUV vehicles are known for their greater fuel efficiency, which makes them a desirable option. Owing to its greater engine power, Toyota Innova Crysta gives the lowest mileage of 8kmpl (petrol model) to 12kmpl (diesel model). At the same time, all the other discussed options have a relatively high mileage of approximately 20-21 kmpl.
5. Price: This is one of the most crucial parameters that determine the choice of the buyers over which brand and model is to be chosen ultimately. The options discussed have a varied price range depending on the facilities and services provided. The price ranges have been specified below for quick reference.
Ø Toyota Crysta: Rs.17.86-26.54 lakhs
Ø Mahindra XUV300: Rs. 8.41 - 14.06 Lakhs
Ø Maruti XL6: Rs. 11.29 - 14.55 Lakh
Ø Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: Rs. 8.35 - 12.79 Lakh
Ø Renault Kiger: Rs. 5.99 - 10.62 Lakh
6. Best Exchange Value: Apart from the features elaborated in the previous points, you need to keep in mind the other essential things before eventually buying the MUV vehicle. Like car insurance and car trade value which will vary from dealer to dealer. The Park+ App, which can be easily downloaded from the Google Playstore, will bring you the best deals and details on the best MUV cars in India. So now, you don't have to worry about all these additional checklist items and can focus entirely on selecting your choice of MUV.
After having discussed all the necessary parameters that you need to contemplate before purchasing one of the best MUV cars in India, it's time to sum it up. As we have seen, the features and services differ from brand to brand. Still, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga seems to be a decent winner providing the overall package.