The State Governments in India are responsible for constructing almost 80% of the country's roads. Therefore, they impose a road fee to cover the expense of building and maintaining roads. By collecting road taxes, citizens help the government build and maintain a superior system of roads. This results in improved transit options for the general public.�
There are different methods through which road tax can be paid nowadays. But many prefer to pay the tax online. After all, who wants to carry around a wad of cash and a bunch of credit cards today? Fortunately, paying your road tax online is now easier than ever. This blog will show you how to do it in Uttar Pradesh.
What Does Uttar Pradesh's Road Tax Entail?
In Uttar Pradesh, different factors affect the road tax levied on an individual. These include:
- The vehicle type: whether it is a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler
- Purpose of use: whether personal or commercial
- Make and model of the vehicle
- Engine capacity
- Fuel capacity
- Seating capacity
- The ex-showroom cost of the vehicle.
The two-wheelers are categorized only as personal vehicles. For four-wheelers, the use can be personal, like an individual's car, or commercial, like a taxi.
Steps to pay road tax online in Uttar Pradesh
You can pay online road tax in UP through the Parivahan portal. Parivahan is the official website and registry of motor vehicles launched by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. It handles various vehicle-related services like online tax payment and e-challan payment. You can also retrieve information about any vehicle from the Parivahan portal.
The process of paying road tax online via the Parivahan portal is the same for every state.
Follow these instructions to pay your UP tax online
- Visit the website
- You can enter your vehicle registration number on the left side of the page. After typing in the number, click "proceed."
- Then select "online services".
- Next, choose "Pay Your Vehicle Tax."
- Enter the last five digits of the chassis number and select "Validate Regno/Chasino.
- Next, tap the option "Generate OTP."
- Enter and submit the OTP you received on the registered mobile number.
- Update the "Insurance Details."
- Review the details on the "Fee Pane", then click "Proceed."
- Pay the amount and generate a "Payment Receipt."
- The completed application will then be transferred to the respective RTO.
- Print the e-receipt and keep it as proof of payment
Road Tax Penalty in Uttar Pradesh
You must pay a specific penalty if you forget to pay your road tax in Uttar Pradesh. The penalty for not paying road tax in Uttar Pradesh depends on the type of vehicle. Generally, a fee of ?500 per month or 4% of the monthly unpaid tax amount is charged after the due date. In addition, any fines and penalties imposed by the local transport authority may also be applicable.
If you fail to pay the entire amount of your road tax, you will be penalized 1/10th of the lifelong tax for every year. The penalties are always due along with your owed tax.
We hope this blog helps you understand how to pay road tax online in Uttar Pradesh. By following the steps mentioned above, anyone can pay their road tax from the convenience of their homes. Always pay your road tax in time to avoid hefty penalties and legal trouble.
For a more effective way to maintain your car, download the Park+ app today. Park+ lets you locate your nearest RTO, book parking spots, buy car insurance, check pending e-challans, schedule a car wash, and more.