The process of registering your vehicle at the RTO can be quite a lengthy process. Furthermore, every state can have rules for registering with the RTO. For example, the dealership sends the required documents to the RTO to register your bike in Maharashtra.
This process can also vary between different vehicle types or different vehicle dealerships. As it is one of the most important processes to take care of, having complete clarity is essential. Keep reading to learn about the vehicle registration process and the required documents.
The role of RTO
The important points to remember about the Regional Transport Office include
- The RTO or Regional Transport Office is the governmental authority tasked with maintaining accurate records of every vehicle purchased.
- Every Regional RTO maintains this record for vehicles purchased in that region. When a person buys a new vehicle, they must first register it with the RTO.
- The RTO then issues a vehicle registration certificate that mentions the registration number. This registration number becomes your number plate.
- Until the RTO completes the registration, the dealership assigns a temporary number to the vehicle owner. This temporary number is also submitted to the RTO along with other documents. This is done to ensure that any violation that occurred before the completion of registration is accounted for correctly.
Documents needed for registering a vehicle
To complete the registration process with the RTO, certain documents need to be submitted. The complete list of these documents is mentioned on the RTO or MParivahan website. To complete vehicle registration with the RTO, the following documents are needed:
Application Form: This is to be filled out by the individual purchasing the vehicle. The form asks for details like name, address, age, phone number, etc. Make sure that these are correctly filled. - Form 20 - Vehicle Sales Certificate - Vehicle Insurance contract - Applicants Photos - Receipt of Vehicle Purchase - Identification Document (Aadhar, DL)
Once these details are checked, a dedicated investigating officer will be assigned to check the correctness of the details. The registration number will be sent over if all the details are correct. The Registration certificate will accompany this letter. Additionally, a certification mark would be sent, which must be put on the license plate. This signifies that the vehicle has been registered with the RTO properly.
Vehicle registration: Points to note
While registering your new vehicle, it is important to remember certain critical points:
- The registration number given by the RTO of a state is for a vehicle purchased in a particular state. This vehicle can travel to other parts of the country. However, if a person relocates to another state and takes their vehicle along, they need to register with the RTO of that state.
- The Registration number of one state cannot be used permanently in another state. As such, the vehicle needs to be re-registered. The vehicle owner must also inform the RTO office of the original state.
- Apart from moving to another state, the registration number, once issued to a vehicle owner, cannot be changed. Therefore, vehicle owners must request any particular number or VIP number before the process is done.
To find more details about your local Regional Transport Office (RTO), download the Park+ Application on your devices.
The Park+ Application is available on all Android and IOS devices. This platform contains solutions to all your vehicular questions and disputes. Park+ allows users to apply for insurance, get a FASTag, and check and pay eChallans. Additionally, Park+ contains a detailed list of all RTOs in different states. The platform also contains detailed information about the functions of the RTO and what people can expect.
The Regional Transport Office is responsible for several transport-related services provided in India, including registering new vehicles. The department requires specific details and documentation to do this and issue a Registration Certificate to the vehicle owners. Since several important documents are needed to complete the process, many people may find it quite overwhelming. You can use the Park+ app to know the details of the documents needed for the process. You can also use the Park+ app to check the details of the vehicle and owner and to check the details about pending challans. Park+ is easy to use and reliable. Download the Park+ app for more information.